The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
c. 1850. Completely restored Greek Revival mansion. Many original furnishings and memorabilia.
The oldest continuously inhabited settlement in Jefferson Davis County. We provide tours of the Holloway-Polk house, which is significant as the only surviving house in Mt. Carmel, built when Mt. Carmel, a thriving community, (founded in 1819) was an incorporated bustling academic and commercial town. The original owner, William B. Holloway built the home in 1864 and lived in it. Robert Decatur Polk, an African-American, bought the home in 1911 and it has been occupied by the Polks since that time. Through the tours, students and/or the public learn and interact with the life and culture of the early 1800's.
Holly Hedges was one of the earliest homes built in the developing City of Natchez, circa 1796, when John Scott, a carpenter at the Spanish fort, was granted the property with the stipulation that he allow no bull fighting in the side yard. It is not clear that the house which stands upon the lot today was built by Scott in 1796 or in 1818 by Edward Turner when he acquired the property. An 1835 landscape painting of the area illustrates the house as it looks today, after its enlargement by a rear addition with two distinctive gable roofs. The house is not open for tour year round but can be viewed on a walking, driving or carriage tour from the street. It will, on occasion, be open for tour during Spring or Fall Pilgrimage.
Designed by noted architect C.H. Lindsley and furnished by Marshall Field of Chicago, the Governor Hugh White mansion is "probably Mississippi's finest residential essay in the Colonial Revival Style" built in 1925.
In 1887, former slaves of Jefferson Davis' brother, Joseph, formed their own community and called it Mound Bayou. Mr I. T. Montgomery was one of the town founders. Community brochure available from Mound Bayou City Hall.
c. 1805. Oldest frontier style structure in the Pearl River Valley. Built by Rev. John Ford, a legislator and member of the state's Constitution Writing Committee. Guests have included Andrew Jackson and Bishop William McKandree.
c. 1896. Hanccck County Historical Society headquarters is located in this shotgun Victorian cottage. Has a large display of local photographs and artifacts.
c. 1869. Home of statesman, L. Q. C. Lamar. This national landmark's restoration is now complete.
Lansdowne is a modest Greek Revival style residence, a beautifully preserved document of mid-nineteenth-century taste in architecture and interior decoration. According to family tradition, Lansdowne was constructed in 1853 for George M. Marshall and his wife Charlotte, whose descendants still occupy the house today. The home is often available for tour during the Spring or Fall Pilgrimage seasons.
c. 1884. Once the home of A. H. Longino, Governor of Mississippi. Fully-restored; museum.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI