The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
From primitive camping to full-service RV accommodations to cozy cabins, Mississippi's State Parks are fantastic places to stay. For complete information, click here.
The Gothic Revival Carrollton Baptist Church was built in 1894. The sanctuary contains the original handcrafted pews and a shell-formed pulpit that produces wonderful acoustics.
Constructed in 1897, the church is in the Carpenter Gothic style with angular windows, a tower, and an octagonal spire with corner pinnacles. The alter and pulpit were made from local walnut wood by an early pastor. For as long as anyone can remember, instead of pews the sanctuary has had wooden opera seats.
The 19th century town of Carrollton, with its well-preserved square and antebellum architecture, has served as the filming location for numerous movies: "Home From the Hill" (1960), "The Reivers" (1969), "Ode to Billy Joe" (1976), "Minstrel Man" (1977), "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" (1978), "Mississippi Burning" (1988), and "The Help" (2010).
The Carrollton Community house is a fine example of WPA construction and architecture. Built in 1936, it is constructed of native pine logs.
General store, gristmill, mechanical music collection, country and movie memorabilia. Hot roasted peanuts, glass bottle Coca-Cola & old fashion hoop cheese are local favorites and available for purchase.
c. 1850. Gothic-style chapel. Historic cemetery. Beautiful wooded setting. Site of the annual "A Day In The Country" festival on first Saturday in October.
c. 1857. Gothic Revival Church made of stone on terraced knoll. Oldest Episcopal Church in Mississippi. One of many historic structures on a scenic-loop tour.
c. 1839. One of the first buildings built for public assembly in Vicksburg, the cornerstone was laid by Bishop Leonidas Polk who later served as a Lt. General in the Confederate Army. In spite of the shelling during the siege, the Rev. W. W. Lord conducted daily services. Many original furnishings are still in use in the weekly worship services. Features two Tiffany stained-glass windows.
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church has been a place of spiritual refreshment for nearly 150 years and remains an active congregation of the Diocese of Mississippi. With its slate roof and steeple, the church can be spotted from all parts of the city. Noted in the National Register of Historic Places, Holy Trinity boasts six Tiffany stained glass windows and the only known windows to honor those who died on both sides in the Civil War. Home to the Conservatory of Fine Arts.
c.1910 Quitman Train Depot houses the Clarke County Chamber of Commerce
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI