The capital city
Glitz, glamour, golf and more
Center of the Blues Universe
Sherman's headquarters while he occupied the town of Oxford beginning in December of 1862.
c. 1900. Collins Train Depot was once known as the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Depot. Today, this old depot, located in the heart of downtown Collins, has been restored and features a courtyard and rentable facilities for programs and events.
Tour points out Columbus' most interesting and historic architectural details. Brochure available at Tennessee Williams Welcome Center.
Monument honoring soldiers from Picayune and Lumberton who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
c. 1867. African-American church established in Lowndes County following the Civil War. The congregation met beneath a large tree prior to building in 1908.
Historic meeting site, 50 years or older.
c. 1907. This beautiful old courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Covington County was established in 1819, making it one of the oldest counties in the state.
Cowles Meade (1776-1844) served as the first acting governor of the Mississippi territory. His plantation home, named Greenwood, was burned in 1863 by Union troops during the Civil War.
Display of all things Corinth from the Paleolithic period to the present day. Housed in the Historic Corinth Depot, permanent displays emphasize transportation and the Civil War.
One of the state’s oldest monuments is dedicated to the Confederate dead, erected shortly after the War Between the States, is located in the Old Hernando Memorial Cemetery. Hernando Memorial Cemetery has the largest number of Confederate graves in DeSoto County with 100 marked graves and a mass grave for 60 soldiers.
THE OFFICIAL TOURISM RESOURCE FOR THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI