Mississippi Welcome Centers function as an extension of the warmth and hospitality of Mississippians to visitors by providing information and service designed to promote "travel spending" in the state. According to the Federal Aid Highway Program Manual (Volume 6, Chapter 2, Section 5, Subsection 1), the Welcome Centers/Information Centers provide specific information to the motorists as to services, places of interest within the state, and such information the state may consider desirable. Welcome Centers play a prominent role in providing travelers with specific information on hotels/motels, and attractions including, but not limited to, gaming, restaurants, and etc., The Mississippi Development Authority encourages community participation on a first request basis.
1. Those wanting to promote, advertise, market, or display, merchandise, properties, attractions, etc., at a Mississippi Welcome Center must submit a letter of request to:
Welcome Center Bureau
P. O. Box 849
Jackson, MS 39205-0849
2. Entities requesting permission to promote, advertise, display or market merchandise or properties at a Welcome Center will receive a written response within five (5) days of request.
3. When agreed that an entity can promote at a Welcome Center, the following criteria must be followed:
1. Properties or attractions should be located in Mississippi.
2. Representatives are to exhibit professional behavior.
3. Representatives are to be attired professionally. They are to be knowledgeable of the property, merchandise, or display being represented and should have some knowledge of the area and state.
4. The primary duty of a representative is to promote his or her entity, but will be required to answer questions regarding other entities and make reservations as requested by visitor.
5. Representatives will be required to help Welcome Center staff as needed. He or she will be required to consent to the Mississippi Welcome Centers' standard operating procedures.
6. Entities will be allowed to promote a maximum of four (4) times within thirty (30) days excluding special events sponsored by the Welcome Centers' staff.
Consideration will be given to the date and day requested for promotion on a first request basis.
Promotion agreements can be renewed after thirty (30) days, on a first request basis, at the discretion of the Agency, Bureau Manager, and Welcome Center Supervisor.
The state reserves the right to cancel this agreement without prior notice to the Tourism Industry.
Only one entity type will be allowed to promote at a Welcome Center each day.
Solicitation of any kind and for any purpose is strictly prohibited, including the distribution or dissemination of literature and materials, except pre-approved items. The collecting of money for the sale of merchandise is prohibited. No banners or large signs are allowed inside or outside the building. No posters, brochures, or banners advertising alcoholic beverages are allowed to be displayed on state property.