The highest elevations in the state are found in The Hills Region, where the foothills of the Appalachians dip into Mississippi and create some of the state’s most beautiful and breathtaking views. The rolling countryside makes for invigorating on-course challenges, and the beautiful vistas provide a scenic backdrop for each round.
DeSoto County, located near Memphis, boasts four championship golf courses, which together create the foundation for an affordable and varied golf vacation. The city of Olive Branch is home to three of these courses (Cherokee Valley Golf Club, Plantation Golf Club and Wedgewood Golf Club), while nearby Southaven is home to North Creek Golf Club.
A short distance southeast of DeSoto County sits the challenging Kirkwood National Golf Club in Holly Springs. Cottages are available, offering the comfort and luxury of first-class accommodations at the end of the day.
Golfers who appreciate an exceptional value flock to the region’s two state park courses: Mallard Pointe at John W. Kyle State Park in Sardis (designed by Bob Cupp), and The Dogwoods at Hugh White State Park in Grenada (designed by Gary Roger Baird). Each offers affordable green fees, comfortable lodging and a variety of other outdoor activities. The Dogwoods course has been named one of the top five “Best New Affordable Courses” in the US by Golf Digest.
The Dogwoods at Hugh White State Park
|2424 Hugh White State Park Rd., 38901||7,015||131||72|
Kirkwood National Golf Club
|277 Palmer Ln., 38635||6,254||138||72|
Cherokee Valley Golf Club
662-893-4444 Ext. 1
Plantation Golf Club
Wedgewood Golf Course
|6635 Crumpler Blvd., 38654
9425 Plantation Rd., 38654
5206 Tournament Dr., 38654
The Ole Miss Golf Course
|147 Golf Club Dr., 38655||7,035||125||72|
Mallard Pointe Golf Course
|3037 State Park Rd., 38666||6,498||124||72|
North Creek Golf Course
|8770 North Creek Blvd., 38671||6,433||125||72|
Big Oaks Golf Club
|3481 Big Oaks Blvd., Saltillo, 38866||6,834||124||72|
● Arrive in Memphis, TN. Check into a local hotel and play Cherokee Valley Golf Club in Olive Branch. In the evening, visit Beale Street in Memphis for an evening of non-stop Blues & authentic Memphis-style barbecue.
● Tee off at North Creek Golf Club in Southaven in the morning. In the afternoon, tour Elvis Presley’s iconic Graceland home, and take in other sites of interest in the area.
● Drive to Holly Springs, check into Cottages and play Kirkwood National Golf Club. Later, enjoy an evening in Holly Springs or cookout on your patio at the cottages.
● Take a day trip to Tupelo and visit Elvis’ Birthplace. Enjoy lunch at Romie’s Grocery and visit the hardware store where Elvis purchased his first guitar. The Tupelo Auto Museum is one of the favorite attractions in town, with over 120,000 square feet of automobile displays. From there, head to Oxford and check into a hotel for the night. Spend your evening on the Square and dine at one of the local restaurants.
● Spend the morning playing at the “Ole Miss” Golf Club before departing.
● Drive to Grenada and play The Dogwoods at Hugh White State Park. Head back to Oxford for the evening.
● Head to Sardis and play Mallard Pointe Golf Club, then return to Memphis for your evening departure.