(JACKSON, Mississippi) – Fallen Oak and Dancing Rabbit Golf Club/Azaleas have been ranked No. 30 and No. 32 respectively on GOLF Magazine’s prestigious “2014 Best Courses You Can Play" in America – a biennial list of 100 public-access courses.
Using a team of national course raters, GOLF Magazine recognized five Mississippi courses overall in its “2014 Best Courses Near You" by state list, found in the September, 2014 print edition.
• No. 1: Fallen Oak in Biloxi
• No. 2: Dancing Rabbit Golf Club/Azaleas Course in Choctaw
• No. 3: Grand Bear Golf Course in Saucier
• No. 4: Dancing Rabbit Golf Club/Oaks Course in Choctaw
• No. 5: Shell Landing Golf Club in Gautier
“The state of Mississippi is honored to once again see its golf courses earn this critical distinction," said Malcolm White, Visit Mississippi Director of Tourism. “We hope these rankings encourage people to visit our state and experience the optimal year-round weather, variety of courses and array of popular after-golf activities.”
Fallen Oak is open exclusively to guests of the renowned Beau Rivage Resort & Casino. The Tom Fazio masterpiece sits adjacent to the DeSoto National Forest and each spring plays host to the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, a Champions TOUR event won in recent years by Fred Couples and Tom Lehman.
Dancing Rabbit’s Azaleas and Oaks courses are amenities of the Pearl River Resort, which is owned and operated by the Mississippi band of Choctaw Indians. Meandering through hundreds of acres, the two 18-hole championship courses are isolated among ancient pines, set alongside lush fairways.
Grand Bear Golf Course, an amenity of Harrah’s Gulf Coast Casino, Hotel and Spa, is perennially named one of the top casino courses in the country. The Jack Nicklaus Signature Course features deep bunkers, secluded fairways and manicured greens.
Located less than a mile from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, the Davis Love III-designed Shell Landing Golf Club winds through bayous, marshes and tall pines, showcasing a layout all skills of golfers enjoy.
For more information about these courses or for a list of value-laden Mississippi stay-and-play packages visit the golf page or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.
About Mississippi Golf
Attractions contributing to Mississippi’s growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
- More than 140 courses offering a variety of price points and designs from world-class architects such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio
- Year-round golf weather with temperate conditions throughout five distinct regions -- The Hills, The Delta, The Capital/River, The Pines, The Coastal
- Home to two annual TOUR events: The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic of the Champions TOUR, played at Fallen Oak and the Sanderson Farms Championship of the PGA TOUR, played at Country Club of Jackson (Nov. 3-9, 2014)
- One of the largest gaming destinations in North America, featuring exciting gaming, upscale shopping, live entertainment, luxurious spas and internationally acclaimed golf courses
- Birthplace of blues, rock ‘n roll and country music. Mississippi Blues Trail and Country Music Trail markers are placed at key sites around the state to honor musicians and give visitors insight into the state’s diverse musical heritage
- World-famous, authentic southern cuisine offering savory barbecue, fresh seafood and French-Cajun delicacies
- A busy calendar of more than 400 unique events scheduled throughout the year
- A host of non-golf activities including boating, fishing, bird-watching, hiking, biking, hunting, camping and more
For more information please click here or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.