Cycling the Natchez Trace Parkway
Nature enthusiasts love traveling to Mississippi for the year-round beautiful weather and various outdoor activities offered here. One of the most popular attractions for cyclists is the Natchez Trace Parkway. This famed bicycle route spans 444 miles between Natchez, MS, and Nashville, TN. Here, Visit Mississippi will be your tour guide for this great destination.
Must-See Stops on the Natchez Trace Parkway
During your travels, you will see there is no shortage of beautiful sights along the Natchez Trace Parkway, and you owe it to yourself to experience them first-hand. Must-see stops worth checking out include:
- Sunken Trace (MP 41.5): Created by natural erosion, this unique portion of the route features an almost tunnel-like terrain, and truly is something you must see to believe.
- Cypress Swamp (MP122): Take a break from cycling and discover this hidden gem along the Natchez Trace Parkway. Visitors can walk along the boardwalk through the swampy lands all the way down to a relaxing pond.
- Reservoir Outlook (MP 105.6): This point of interest is an excellent place to stop and take a break from your ride. It is the largest body of water found along the trail and is an excellent opportunity for a group photo.
Things to Know About the Natchez Trace Parkway
As you prepare for your journey, it can be essential to first familiarize yourself with the route. Doing so will ensure you are ready to handle any obstacles that may come your way. Some things to consider about the Natchez Trace Parkway include:
Spring and Fall Are the Most Popular Seasons
If you are planning to cycle the Natchez Trace Parkway during spring or fall, keep in mind these times of the year are the busiest. If you wish to enjoy a less-congested cycling excursion, consider going during a different time of year.
Supplies and Amenities Are Limited
On your ride, you will notice that there aren’t many signs guiding riders to nearby supplies or accommodations. So be sure to map out your route and know where to exit beforehand.
Unexpected Changes in Elevation
Some sections of the trail are more difficult than others. Unexpected elevation changes can quickly turn your mild ride into a cardiovascular workout. It is important to know your limits as you meet these changes in the terrain.
Cell Phone Service Is Not Always Available
As you venture along the Natchez Trace Parkway, you may notice your cell phone reception cuts in and out. This is a common occurrence. Because of this, riders should take the necessary precautions, such as:
- Informing someone who is not on the cycling trip about the planned route and an estimated time of return
- Packing a first aid kit and a bicycle repair kit
Bike Shops Near the Natchez Trace Parkway
Knowing where to find reliable bicycle shops near the Natchez Trace Parkway can be crucial to your trip. The last thing you want is to discover your bicycle needs repairs just as you’re about to begin your ride. But just in case, here are some bicycle shops you can visit along the Natchez Trace Parkway:
- Trails & Treads (Tupelo, MS): Located east of the parkway, this bike shop specializes in repairing bikes quickly and efficiently. It also has a variety of cycling gear and clothing available if you’ve forgotten anything.
- Indian Cycle Fitness & Outdoor (Ridgeland, MS): A full-service bicycle dealer, visitors can visit this shop for several services, including bicycle repairs and rentals.
- Bicycle Revolution (Madison, MS): This full-service bicycle shop has all the tools needed to administer any repairs you may need. It also offers mobile service that is available by appointment.
- RideSouth (Brandon, MS): This bike shop offers a wide range of services for guests to use, including bike rentals and inspections.
Plan Your Journey on the Natchez Trace Parkway
Riders traveling to Mississippi in search of an exciting cycling adventure should look no further than the Natchez Trace Parkway. Visit Mississippi helps guests plan trips to Mississippi by recommending must-see stops along the way and providing pertinent information you should know beforehand. Contact us today to learn more about the adventure that awaits you.